Today's SnarkNotes topic is... The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy!
WARNING: While this review is spoiler-free, it WILL contain spoilers for the first two books in the series. Proceed with caution.
- Valkyrie and Skulduggery have to deal with a new bad guy who's trying to resurrect the evil Faceless Ones
- on top of that, Skul's been sacked from his job as the Sanctuary detective
- and his replacement is a real prick
- so not only do Val and Skul have to prevent the destruction of the world, they have to do it without government help.
- and they have to deal with Fletcher Renn, an extremely obnoxious teenage boy that the villains want to use to bring back the Faceless Ones
- clearly, this won't go horrifically wrong at all.
- honestly the villain in this book is really great
- i can't talk too much about them but i've always really liked them
- it's too bad they don't really show up again
- CHINA BACKSTORY
- also the scene where Tanith interacts with Val's mortal family? gold
- and the scene where Kenspeckle is like "you should be treated like a child, because you are a child" and Val's like "you don't treat me like a child" and he says, "Of course I do. But you seem to have this ridiculous notion that being treated like a child means to be treated with less respect than an adult."
- that entire scene is so underrated
- so is Kenspeckle as a character, tbh
- i honestly forgot how annoying Fletcher is in this book
- (yeah, yeah, he gets better)
- also, Remus fucking Crux
- this fucking guy
- tbh i found the explanation for why people don't like Teleporters to be kind of weak
- "people don't like it when people can just pop in out of nowhere" YOU'RE TALKING???? TO???? A WALKING SKELETON????
- that ending
- i'm gonna sue Derek Landy
- also, just a sidenote: i'll be pausing my Skulduggery Pleasant reread long enough to read Labyrinth Lost
- watch this blog for my review of Dark Days
Thank you so much for reading this SnarkNotes entry. If you liked it and would like to support my work, click on either of the buttons below to donate -- Buy Me a Coffee is a small, one-time donation, but becoming a Patron has several benefits and rewards. Either way, it's a huge help to me. A special thanks to those of you that choose to contribute! Even if you can't donate, you can feel free to follow me on social media; the links are in the top-right corner.
If you've read The Faceless Ones, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!