Today's SnarkNotes topic is... Scepter of the Ancients by Derek Landy!
- Stephanie's uncle is dead. Super, hella dead.
- He leaves her his mansion and his fortune, and apparently, a shitload of trouble, because the first night Stephanie spends in her new house, someone nearly kills her trying to break in.
- Luckily, Steph is rescued by Skulduggery Pleasant, a magic-wielding detective who was close friends with her uncle.
- (Did we mention Skul is a walking, talking skeleton?)
- Realizing that her uncle was murdered, Steph teams up with Skul to try and figure out who killed him, and why.
- It's clear they were after something her uncle had, but what?
- (Spoiler alert: the Scepter of the Ancients. The thing in the title.)
- (If the bad guys find it, they can use it to bring back the evil, ancient gods known as the Faceless Ones, who would basically wipe out/enslave humanity.)
- (So, no pressure.)
- smol baby Stephanie, before the world broke her
- even from the first chapter, this series is goddamn hilarious
- seriously, go read it
- really good worldbuilding and magic system
- also LOTS of foreshadowing for future books
- Skulduggery is a freaking dumbass and i love him
- this book is a really great introduction into this world and series and i need EVERYONE to read it so i have more people to scream at about it
- there are loads of characters to keep track of, and it only gets more confusing as the series goes on
- i was practically keeping a chart in my head
- also this isn't a criticism but there were a shitload of lines that, since i know now the twists that will take place in future books, just made me go
- "oh NO"
- finally starting my Skullduggery Pleasant marathon read YEAH
- now i just have.... nine more books to go.......
- .......most of which were only ever published in the UK.........
- yes i most definitely thought this through
- stay tuned for my review of Playing With Fire
- coming soon
RATING: 8 / 10
Thank you so much for reading this SnarkNotes entry. If you liked it and would like to support my work, click on either of the buttons below to donate -- Buy Me a Coffee is a small, one-time donation, but becoming a Patron has several benefits and rewards. Either way, it's a huge help to me. A special thanks to those of you that choose to contribute! Even if you can't donate, you can feel free to follow me on social media; the links are in the top-right corner.
If you've read Scepter of the Ancients, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!